Friday, August 22, 2008

Crested Butte: Year-round playground


Pardon me if I sound like a tourist brochure, but a lot of winter sport areas look like bomb targets in the warmer months (see: Vail).
Crested Butte is fairly spectacular 365 days a year.
My parents and my brother, sister-in-law, and nephew visited during my first weekend back. We took the Tater Tot on his first chairlift ride, which he loved. He called it the sky couch. He couldn't wait to get back on. This bodes well...he's the perfect age to instill a lifelong addiction to snow sports. Mwahahahahahaha!
Alas, since he lives in LA he may be beyond my auntly clutches.

It was uncharacteristically cloudy for our trip and it even sleeted a little at the top! Actually, it was coming down as snowflakes, but they melted right away. Winter's coming!!!! YAY!


There's a little leftover snow in this picture - just above the Tot's and my brother's heads. At this point it's just a breeding ground for cyanobacteria, but it's a fitting momento of a great ski season.


My brother is trying to get the Tot to take an interest in the pika on the rocks there, but the Tot was pretty fixated on getting back on the "ride."

My favorite blogger over at sievkins would have something clever to say about this.



3 comments:

Alena said...

Do you sit around and think up potato based nicknames for your family or do they just pop into your head? Is this what you do on the long flights between CO and MA?

It is beautiful in Crested Butte tho - I hope to get out there and see it soon!

Dr. PotatoHead said...

I'm not sure which is worse, but they do just pop into my head.

EJP said...

I might have something to say if I'd ever heard of a pika, never mind seen a picture of one. As it is, my mind is blown.

And as your "favorite blogger", may I be referred to as your spud bud?